Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Hive 2 May Tutorial – 10-inch Toadstools


Hello Hive 2

I’m Sue I’m a fabriholic and happy about it! I live in Perth, Western Australia and you can find me blogging at SevenoaksStreet Quilts and on Instagram @sevenoaksstreetquilts. This is my second year in Stash Bee. I’m thoroughly enjoying myself again this year and I’m inspired by what I’m seeing on your Instagram feeds as well.


This month we’re making a toadstool quilt for my great-niece Tilly, a term that makes me sound like I’m 150  😊

The block has been tweaked – up scaled, turned into a square, simplified slightly, and the tiny HST units have been removed (you’re welcome) – from this block by Iam LunaSol. It turns out that it now looks very similar to this block by Patty Sloniger. When I couldn’t find the pattern in her shop I checked with her and she has given her consent to me using it so long as I acknowledge that she came up with it first. I’m more than happy with that!


FOR FABRIC CHOICES  I would prefer a red and white print for the toadstool tops if you have it or black and white if you don’t, low volume prints (not pictured) on a white or off white background for the background fabric, a mid to dark grey print, blender or solid for the stem and a pale grey print, blender or solid for the gills. Since Tilly is coming up to her third birthday feel free to add prints with some novelty value.


CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

From the red print
          Cut one rectangle 5 ½” x 10 ½”
          Cut two 1 ½” squares

From the pale grey
Cut one 1 ½” x 10 ½” rectangle

From the darker grey
          Cut one rectangle 4 ½” x 3”

From the low volume
Cut two rectangles 4 ½” x 4 ¼”
Cut two  3 ½” squares

SEWING IT TOGETHER


Mark the diagonals on the two low volume squares and the two red print squares
Line the low volume squares up in the corner of the red print rectangle so the line cuts across the corner, and the same for the red print squares on the pale grey print rectangle. Stitch along the marked line. Trim and press.


Stitch the two low volume rectangles to either side of the darker grey rectangle.
Stitch the three sections together to form a toadstool.

And we’re done!

POSTING TIPS
Please read the postage tutorials on the Stash Bee blog to avoid ridiculous costs.

Please also add an airmail sticker or write it on the envelope. Without that it runs the risk of coming by boat which will take about two months!

I know you guys will do a stunning job and I can’t wait to see them!

No comments: