Sunday, April 1, 2018

Hive One April Tutorial--Daisy Chain

Happy Easter, everyone!


I'm so excited to be Queen Bee this month!  I missed being part of Stash Bee last year.  I enjoy the distraction of making individual block requests each month, but I forgot how difficult it is to choose a block for my turn =)

I've been somewhat obsessed with nine-patch blocks of late, and I finally settled on a variation.  I loved this since I first saw it:  http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2016/02/nifty-nines-quilt-along-daisy-chain.html  It is from a series of 9-patch tutorials from a couple of years ago now.


For the white background, I'd like low volume prints or white/cool light-light-gray solids.  No off whites, yellows or tans, please.  For colors I simply went to my 2-1/2 inch scrap bin; I have all kinds of fabrics and no real aversions.  I  prefer brights and darks, but any combination is fine with me.  My favorite quilts are highly scrappy, so think contrast and variety.


The only change to the original tutorial (linked above) is that I'd like to make blocks from each of the 2 units ... 2 9-patches and 2 snowballs.  You will need:

8     2-1/2" squares   low volume fabrics
2     6-1/2" squares   low volume fabrics
18   2-1/2" squares   high-contrast prints


Take 2 of the 9-patch units and 2 snowball units and combine into a single block as shown:

I pressed all the smaller unit seams toward the prints.  On the nine patches, the horizontal joining seams were all pressed towards the center row.  The finished blocks will be 12" (12-1/2" unfinished). Please feel free to contact me with any questions.  I look forward to all your fun blocks! 

No comments: