Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hive 4 July Block Tutorial

Hi Everyone. I am Pam and when I do blog it is at http://livingeachday84.blogspot.com/. This is my first stash bee exchange. I joined this group to help me get out of a rut I was in after I lost my daughter Amanda in a car accident in 2013. This group allows me to get back to what I love to do which is quilting. I have been quilting since 2005 and I love it. I live in a small town in Oklahoma on  what was once my grandparents farm. I have been married to my high school boyfriend for over 30  years and we have 2 children Amanda and Thomas and 2 awesome grandsons CW and Hesston.  The block I have chosen for you all to make is the wonky scrappy cross in either the color of orange or blue. My daughters 2 favorite colors were these colors. I want to be able to make by 2 grandsons each a quilt with their mommy's favorite colors. There are 4 and 6 now and we do a lot of activities and such to help keep their mommy memory  alive in their heart.

I started out with a 14  inch square piece of gray fabric and some strips of orange or blue fabrics.The Orange and blue fabric that make up the strips varied in width from 1 inch to 2 1/2 inch sewn together to make the length needed.

I cut the piece of gray fabric in a half  using  any angle desired and then cut my strips of orange and blue fabrics in widths of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2. I then sewed the  strip to both side of the cut pieces. When lining up the first piece to the 2nd piece I did pin and flip before sewing  to get the  cross to line up better.
After sewing the strip to both side of the fabric, I pressed the strip toward the background fabric and then  cut that piece  in half again using whatever angle I desired. After  the 2nd strip was added to complete the block I squared up the block to a 13 1/2 block size.
My question to you. Is where do you shop.  Do you have a favorite brick and mortar store or do you shop a lot online. I  love to shop at www.fabricshack.com, www.intownquilters.com and www.fatquartershop.com/ to name a few.

3 comments:

SewLiab said...

Pam, what a beautiful idea to keep your daughter's memory alive! I am so sorry you had to go through losing her and I am sure the quilts will bring much warmth and love to your grandsons. I love the scrappiness of it and will make you some blocks too! -Martina

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Let me know if you need any more blocks. I will happily send some.

Pam said...

thank you both