Sunday, March 1, 2015

March Block for Hive 8

My name is RobinSue and this is my 2nd year with Stash Bee.  I really enjoyed the variety of blocks and techniques that were chosen last year.  This year is starting out no different.  It's great to see new block designs.  I admit that I stalk all the hives and even make a few of their blocks just for fun.


As for this month's block, I had a most difficult time deciding.  After seeing Raspberry Kisses by Wooden Spoon Quilts, I was inspired.  Then I saw a post from Sew Delicious and was certain that this is the block for me. I got right to work trying out the block.

Colors: Center Cross - Bright and bold (your choice), center cross outer blocks -low volume,  outer triangles-"text" print  

The tutorial on Wooden Spoon Quilts is amazing.  The instructions are clear, and each step is accompanied by pictures. The original block is adorable at 4 1/4".  I chose to resize the block to something a bit larger (13 1/4").  For this block, I used the following sizes:

Fabric cutting:
(2) 3 1/2 square center color - a bright, bold color
(1) 9 1/2 x 3 1/2 center color- a bright, bold color
(4) 3 1/2 square low volume
(2) 7 1/4 square "text" print

Excuse the wrinkles!



Here's a photo of how I pressed the seams.  

I made the smaller version from the scraps. 


I made a second block to check the measurements.  

For this block, I experimented with scrappy around the center cross.  I think it would work better if the two darker squares were lighter, it blends too much with the center.

Tip:  For the blue block I cut the center 9 3/4 x 3 1/2 and then trimmed.  I also cut the outside squares at  7 1/2 square and trimmed.  Either way, both blocks are 13 1/4" square.


In searching my stash for the center cross color I hesitated when I saw a few colors I have acquired. What was I thinking?  When will I ever use olive or ochre?

So my question for you is: What color are you most resistant to use in your quilts?

2 comments:

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Black. I can usually find a home for purple and brown, other colours I struggle with, but black is the colour I find hardest to use.

audrey said...

Ooh, can't wait to start, RobinSue! Thanks also for the pic of how you press seams. I always appreciate seeing how individuals like their seams. :)