Saturday, February 1, 2014

Hive 11 February Tutorial

Hive 11 - February Block Tutorial


What is your name?
Hello Everybody, I'm Limbania Osredker.
Can be found in  Flicker  & Instagram as QltnDiva

Where do you live?
In Mesa, Arizona, USA  -  Phoenix metropolitan area, more info here.

Tell us about your family (Spouse, kids, grandkids, pets, etc.)
Married for almost 14 years to a fantabulous and very supportive of my quilt-adventures, husband. Two awesome kids, Renatta (8) and Marcus (5).


This is the most recent photo of all of us together. The other 3 with the silly smiles in the back are my DSIL and her family.

Tell us about how you got interested in quilting.
Was born and raised in México. At about 8 years old, my grandma taught me to cross stitch, hand embroidery, knit, crochet and sew in a treadle sewing machine. In middle school, had to choose a workshop as part of the curriculum. I wanted electrician but my Mom signed me for tailoring and dressmaking. I used to make my own clothes, specially ball gowns or formal dresses. Wanted to be a fashion designer and was on my way to Milan, Italy, when I met DH in Alaska, but that's another story. I first became interested in quilting while watching "Simply Quilts" with Alex Anderson on HGTV, in 2000, while living in Anchorage, Alaska. Got some books out of the public library and visited a quilt shop where I found out they offered workshops, so I took my first piecing lesson and ended up with a quilt top. Later we moved to Springfield, MO, where at the Quilt Sampler I took a class with Kathy Kansier, to learn different binding methods and free motion quilting.

How do you organize your fabric stash? (Picture appreciated)
Don't have a particular way to organize. Mainly have collections together in bookcases and cabinets or by project in plastic totes or boxes (not shown).




Who is/are your favorite fabric designers?
Edyta Sitar, specially her batiks. 

What is one thing you have learned that you wish you knew when you first started quilting?
Nothing in particular and everything I've learned so far. Every new tip and trick that helps me to be more accurate in my piecing.

What is your favorite sewing/quilting tool and why should we all go out and buy it?
A stilleto, or in my case a bamboo skewer that I sharpened to a fine point. I use it while sewing to guide fabric and is my favorite seam ripper (in reality, tread puller. I highly dislike picking itty bitty pieces of thread).

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? (Could be from a book, movie, TV show, etc.)
Santiago, from the book The Alchemist, by Paulo Cohelo.




                                                     Ironwork* Quilt Along: Part 3

This is the inspiration for my block. I'm planning on making a quilt similar but not equal to this. you can see the tutorial here. 



This is the color palette I'm using. They are  "Solids With Spice!" by Pepper Cory. The colors are: Fuschia, Blue Jay, Safron, Paprika, Green Tea
Also using Black Kona to make the ironwork/asterisk.
Now, I'm just giving this information as reference. If you happen to have some shot cottons in a similar color, I would appreciate if you can use it. Otherwise, just use a solid fabric as close as possible to any of the colors in the photo. I understand monitors might show colors differently, that's why I put a link to the fabric line so hopefully you can get a better idea. In my screen the colors show very close to the real thing.

I'm asking for a 16" block. Dont worry about trimming, I'll take care of that when I put the quilt top together. If you'd like to send more than one, a 6" or 10" block would be highly appreciated.

(A)
(B)

I started with a fat quarter to cut a 16" square. Using the lines in the cutting mat as reference, I folded the fabric (A) to have little over 8"double layer (higly dislike waste too). Then folded up to litttle over 8" again (B) to end up with a four layer square.



Measure 8" sq to cut. Will be a 16" sq when unfolded.
Very little waste!




 


Now unfold so you have only 2 layers. Measure an 8" sq. and cut.

You'll end up with two 8" x16" rectangles.

From the black fabric you will need (2) two 1" x 16" stripes for the vertical and horizontal ironwork and (2) two 1" x 24" stripes for the diagonal (X) ironwork. I cut (2) two 1" by width of fabric stripes from which I got one of each of the required sizes.
  

Sew one piece of the color fabric to each side of the black stripe.

Cut in half. Sew each piece to the other black stripe.

You'll en up with a 16" square. Now you'll have to cut in half, from corner to corner. I used a 24" ruler but, if you need to use a shorter ruler, in the tutorial link above, she shows another way to achieve that.
           
 
When sewing the diagonal stripes make sure you leave 1/2" extra length in both ends of the triangle (see photos above).




To align the second triangle to sew it to the stripe, draw a line (do not cut) to make sure you align accurately.


You will have this. do not cut de extra length of the black stripe.

Cut again from corner to corner and proceed as in the previous step.




Back and front of the finished block. 
Ok, I'll say it one last time. Don't trim, I'll take care of that.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you all!  So looking forward to see your beautiful creations (:



No comments: