Monday, July 2, 2012

Hive 3 July block

I decided to have a disappearing nine-patch block for my month.  This is one of the blocks that I fall back on when I want something easy that I don't have to think to much about.  I've also always wanted a pink and brown quilt but have never made myself one so I thought this would be the perfect pink and brown project. 


All the squares are cut 5".  You will need 4 pink squares, 4 tan-beige squares, and 1 brown square.  I'm not at all fussy you can use prints, solids, anything you want.  Lay the squares out in a nine-patch layout with the brown square in the center and the pink squares in the corners. 


Sew the squares in three rows.  Two rows of pink-tan-pink and one row of tan-brown-tan.  Then sew the three rows together to make a block.


Cut the block in half top to bottom and side to side.  You can measure 2 1/4" from the seams. 


Now the block will be 4 squares. 



Flip two kitty corner blocks halfway so that you have alternating small brown squares and large pink squares in the center. 


Sew the pairs of squares back together.  (mine are flipped in this picture from the last one)  Then sew the two halves. 


Now you have a completed disappearing nine patch block.  The block should finish at 13 1/2".

I hope this will be an easy and fun block for everyone to make.  I've always enjoyed them.  I would like to request that instead of making siggy blocks as well that you just sign the nine patch block on the lighter tan pieces.  Thank you all in advance and if you have any questions feel free to ask. 

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

block made tonight ... will post picture on Flickr .. hope the colours are OK...dont havve much pink! Will go in the post tomorrow xx

Carolyn said...

I just finished your block and posted the picture on Flickr. I *may* be able to pop it in the mail today, if not, for sure tomorrow. I hope my larger bold prints are okay for you. Had to go with solid for the tan.

Nancy D. said...

Just getting caught up after being on vacation last week. This will be a fun one to make!