Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hive #4 - May Block

Hello Everyone, my name is Lynn Hurst and I live in Saco, Maine USA.  


Now on to my block:
 Finished Block 8 1/2" 
2 blocks each please 
black, off white, and red scraps
(Please No Solids)
Please use a variety of fabrics- I love scrappy!

Here's the finished block:



Here's how I make half square triangles:
Please feel free to make them using your favorite method.

Finished size is 2 1/2"
I'm starting with a 3 1/2" square which will give me a 2 1/2" finished size. 
First I cut my squares to 3 1/2 inches.

Then on the light squares I draw a diagonal line.


Then put your two pieces of fabric right sides together.
Then I sew a 1/4" on each side of the line.


Then cut on the diagonal line.


Iron the seam over to the dark side or you can iron the seam open.


Then I trim my block to 2 1/2" 


Block out layout

Then start at your top left 
and lay the black & off white square on top of the red & off white square.
 

Sew together


You should now have 4 rows of 4 blocks. 
Iron the rows 


Sew the rows together, be careful to match your seams.
Finished Size 8 1/2"  


Please do not trim down.


Finished block 



Well I hope you enjoy making this block - I can't wait to see them!  

Any questions please email me at ksdesigngirls@gmail.com

I'm so excited - thank you!
LYNN










7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn I can't wait to start on your blocks. I love the red, black, off white combo, and hst are great. I make mine the same way you do because it's just so easy.

roccagal said...

nice block and great color combination-this will be a striking quilt!!!
I am making my sample block tomorrow!!! I may even get one of yours done as well!

Seamsewcountry@blogspot.com said...

Lynn, very nice choice! It will make a beautiful quilt!

Pauline at Ivy Cottage said...

This one looks fun, I can't wait to start rifling through my stash to find just the right colours.

Diane-crewe said...

blocks made and posted in the Flickr group... will go in the Post Tuesday (we have a Bank Holiday Monday) xx

Mandy Todd said...

My blocks are officially made (finally). Will get in the mail tomorrow or Saturday.

IS there a particular signature block pattern you were looking for?

Also, my blocks are not the exact same size (I'm still working on getting consistent seams in my piecing). If you find that one is too small for you to use, just let me know and I'll make another and send your way. I cut plenty of pieces (forgot that the squares get cut in half).

My blocks are posted in the Flickr group, since I can't figure out how to add a new post myself here.

LYNN said...

Thank you everyone, the blocks are great!!