Monday, April 2, 2012

Hive 3 April Chevron Block

I'm really excited to be a part of the stash bee swap and for my block this month I've chosen to do a chevron pattern. You'll need at least 2, 5" squares of a background or light print, and 2, 5" squares of a medium or dark print. I have picked kind of bright colors, nothing too muted, and the background should read white or off white but some color on them is fine, plain white is fine also. This is great because you can use left overs from a charm pack (5" squares) if you have them or even a 10" square layer cake cut in four.




Step One: Draw a diagonal line from the top left to the bottom right of each light colored 5" square.

Step Two: Layer one light and one dark square right sides together.

Step Three: Sew down each side of the drawn line with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you have a quilting foot for your machine great, if not just figure out where the 1/4 line is on your pressser foot and use that spot as a guide.

Step Four: Cut the blocks down the middle on the drawn line and press both open toward the dark fabric. These squares should be 4 1/2" so cut them down if they are off, which, let's be honest, they always seem to be.



 Step Five: Lay out the blocks with the two same colored fabrics making one diagonal line down the middle with the light fabric on the outside. Refer to the pictures to make sure you don't sew them the wrong way. Make one set of two squares facing one way and the other set facing the other way. It matters which way you sew them so make sure they're opposite, like in the picture.


Please don't sew them together to make one big square. I will need to mix them all up before I sew them to get a really scrappy look.Here is the look that I'm going for. Just two sections from each of you would be great but if you have more I'd be happy to have them. I can't wait to see all of your different fabrics.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh I'm excited for this one! I just received my charms back from a rainbow charm swap so I have plenty to chose from :)

Diane-crewe said...

Im sure I can find some fabric "somewhere" to make these blocks xx lol

Unknown said...

OK. This will be great. I am going to find bright scraps right now. Thanks for making it so easy.

Julie said...

Yes--this looks easy, fun, and cheerful! Nice choice.

Nancy D. said...

I love Janet Evanovich. She's got another two books in the Barnaby series you'll want to read too! Looking forward to working on your blocks this weekend.

Diane-crewe said...

blocks made and bloged about .. do you want a signature block? also dont have your surname for the enelope xx

Anonymous said...

I love how simple this is and how awesome it is going to look. Perfect example if a scrappy quilt top!

Diane-crewe said...

In the post this morning xx

LauraMate said...

Finally finished my blocks. Nothing like waiting for the last minute.