Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Blocks Hive #2

Hi Everyone!  Happy April!

This month it's my turn to be queen bee and that means that it's time for.... houses!

Ever since I got serious about quilting and started reading lots of quilting blogs I've had an obsession with house blocks, I absolutely love them!  The problem has always been though that I pretty much never get around to making anything for myself, so even though I love house blocks and can't get enough of them I've never made a house quilt for myself.  Enter you guys!

You might have seen my fabric choices for this month and thought "Why in the world is she having us get one blue from Kona lake, bluebell, or cornflower and one green from Kona honeydew, asparagus, or green tea?"  Now that you know "houses" can you figure it out?!?  Sky and grass!  For the actual houses please be as scrappy as you want to be, the scrappier the better.  All I ask is that the sky of your block be one of the blues I selected and the grass be one of the greens I selected.  

Since 12.5" square blocks seem to be the trend please have your block finish to that size.  Multiple 6.5" square blocks also work if you'd rather do several small blocks.  Please also include a 4.5" square signature block with your name, date, and where you're from.


And please feel free to interpret what "house" is to you.  In my inspiration mosaic I included a light house, a tree house, a church, and a barn, so feel free to make doghouses, tents, campers, or other buildings.  My ultimate intent is to make myself a "town" quilt, so the more wonky and weird structures I have the better!


Okay, here's my mosaic:


Many of the images in my mosaic are paper pieced, and please feel free to do paper piecing if you're comfortable with it.  However, if you're hesitant to try paper piecing I'm 100% okay with applique (though paper piecing isn't really that scary one you try it!).

Here are a few links to helpful tutorials:
How to freezer paper piece  by VeryKerryBerry
Free house pattern  From Craftsy

I'm also planning on making a tutorial for a paper pieced house.  I plan to have it posted before Wednesday the 4th on this blog, so if you want to wait and see what I make feel free to do so.  

Looking forward to seeing what all of you make!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Looks like fun! Maybe someone in hive #1 will pick a house for their month after seeing all of your houses!

LYNN said...

Hey, I'm new to the hive. Also in Hive #4. This looks like a fun block to make - looking forward to it!

LYNN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LYNN said...

Do you want the sky and grass only one solid Color per each or can I mix the 3 Colors together??

Stephanie Granite said...

Lynn- feel free to mix the colors! If anyone also wanted to mix some of my colors with other shades of blues or greens I'd be fine with that too. I just want enough of my color choices in the block that when they are all together they look like they belong together.