Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hive 3

My first blog post!  I expected to easily whip out a couple of these blocks, but that's not how it went.  I had trouble getting them to measure 6 1/4", and I finally did.  The top left is my correct block, and the top right is 6.25", but I cheated on that one, and used wider strips, so the seams aren't gonna line up right.  The other blocks, on the lower right, are smaller--I'm mailing them too, and you can do whatever you want with them, Debbie.  Lastly is my signature block--feel free to trim it to size if you want.  In spite of this being more work than I'd expected, it was a good experience.  Part of the fun of being in a bee is learning new stuff and trying things outside my realm.  I don't applique, but this was a good, simple shape for me, and it went well!  :)  I will mail them out tomorrow. 

Julie 

4 comments:

Back River Designs said...

They look great thanks.

elfqueenof5 said...

Ok, if you didn't cheat on the one, how did you get it to come out right? I tried several times and had to cheat to get them right. What's your secret? Thanks

Julie said...

Another hive member (forgive me for not remembering who) had the same problem, but she mentioned "leaving seam allowances." When I did the diagonal cuts, I had to place the ruler so the little point was 1/4" beyond the fabric--does that make sense? I can't think of a better way to say it. Then it FINALLY worked.

elfqueenof5 said...

Yes! Thank you!